According to homethodology, French Settlement is located in Livingston Parish, Louisiana and has a population of approximately 3,000 people. It lies along the Amite River and is located about 40 miles from Baton Rouge. The climate in French Settlement is typical for the Gulf Coast region with mild winters and hot, humid summers.
The history of French Settlement dates back to the early 1700s when it was first settled by French colonists. In 1763, the area was ceded to Britain during the Seven Years’ War. After the war ended, many of the French settlers returned to their homeland while others stayed and formed a community that would eventually become known as French Settlement.
Politically, French Settlement is part of Livingston Parish which has traditionally leaned Republican in elections. However, in recent years there has been an influx of Democrats who have been successful in local elections.
Economically, French Settlement is primarily a farming community with many residents working in agriculture or related industries. There are also several small businesses located within the town limits such as restaurants and retail stores. Additionally, there are numerous manufacturing plants located nearby that provide employment opportunities for those living in French Settlement.
The schools in French Settlement are part of Livingston Parish School District which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are also several private schools located within walking distance from town for those seeking more specialized educational options.
One of the most prominent landmarks in French Settlement is St John Catholic Church which was built in 1867 and still stands today as a reminder of its rich history and culture. Other notable landmarks include The Old Store Museum which features historic artifacts from throughout Livingston Parish as well as a variety of other attractions such as parks and recreational areas that offer residents plenty to do year-round!
Population: 945. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,053 (+11.4% change)
Males: 462 (48.9%), Females: 483 (51.1%)
Zip code: 70733
Median resident age: 36.6 years
Median household income: $38,562
Median house value: $96,500
Races in French Settlement:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.7%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
Ancestries: United States (27.8%), French (18.3%), Irish (10.8%), French Canadian (6.2%), German (4.3%), English (3.9%).
Elevation: 14 feet
Land area: 2.7 square miles
French Settlement, Louisiana is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. According to the most recent census, the population of French Settlement is approximately 6,100 people. The majority of the population is Caucasian, with a smaller percentage of African American residents. The median household income in French Settlement is $34,000 per year and the median home value is $90,000.
The cost of living in French Settlement is relatively affordable compared to many other areas of Louisiana and the United States as a whole. The cost of housing in French Settlement ranges from renting an apartment for $600 to $1,400 per month or purchasing a home for around $90,000. Utilities such as electricity and water are also quite affordable with an average monthly bill coming to around $150 -$200. Food costs are also reasonable with groceries costing anywhere from $50-$100 per week depending on family size and dietary preferences. Additionally, healthcare costs are also quite low with monthly premiums averaging around $200 per month for individuals and families alike.
For population 25 years and over in French Settlement
- High school or higher: 72.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 36.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in French Settlement village
- Never married: 15.2%
- Now married: 69.0%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 9.1%
1.1% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +31 (+3.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near French Settlement:
- ASCENSION HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; GONZALES, LA)
- ST ELIZABETH HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; GONZALES, LA)
- DIXON MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; DENHAM SPRINGS, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to French Settlement:
- BATON ROUGE METROPOLITAN, RYAN FIELD (about 28 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Abbreviation: BTR)
- LOUIS ARMSTRONG NEW ORLEANS INTL (about 44 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Abbreviation: MSY)
- LAKEFRONT (about 58 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Abbreviation: NEW)
Other public-use airports nearest to French Settlement:
- LOUISIANA REGIONAL (about 14 miles; GONZALES, LA; Abbreviation: L38)
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH (about 23 miles; RESERVE, LA; Abbreviation: 1L0)
- HAMMOND MUNI (about 31 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Abbreviation: HDC)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to French Settlement:
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,549)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIV & AG & MECH & HEBERT LAWS CTR (about 28 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 28,696)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND A & M COLLEGE (about 32 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,399)
- NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,244)
- TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 53 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 10,230)
- LOYOLA UNIVERSITY NEW ORLEANS (about 53 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 4,399)
- XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 54 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,659)
Public high school in French Settlement:
- FRENCH SETTLEMENT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 404; Location: 15875 LA HIGHWAY 16; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in French Settlement:
- FRENCH SETTLEMENT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 448; Location: 15810 LA HIGHWAY 16; Grades: KG – 06)